Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thankful Thursday

This week I am eternally grateful for my parents this week.
1 Nephi 1:1
  • 1" I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God..."

My parents have taught my so much in my life. They have loved my when I am was my most unlovable and celebrated with me when all was right with my world.

Knowledge, and by that I mean book learning, was only a small part of they have taught me. They have taught me about love, understanding, mercy, caring, compassion, courage, strength and so much more.

As I look back on my childhood I know we did not have much as far a monetary possessions, but truly that is not what I remember. I am sure I complained that I wanted more "stuff," but not having stuff is not the memories I was left with. The things I remember and cherish are the tender moments and the fun times we had. Later as I got older I remember the scarifies they made so that we could have things and go places to have experiences and learn.

I remember on Relief Society evenings when mom was gone, sitting on Daddy's lap eating frozen peaches. We would sit all evening with Daddy, enjoying time with him. Mom was always at every school party, activity, or meeting. They had the upholstery shop yes, and she did work there. But she would take the time off to be there for us, then spend late into the evenings working in the shop to make up for the time she missed.

We did not not have much money for vacations and trips, yet they made sure we did enjoy time away from home. We camped, made over night trips, spent time with grandparents, and friends.

As I grew up and became a teenager my life, by my own doing, became fraught with turmoil. And of course that meant theirs was too. Mom has told me many times since then she would not wish a teenager like me on her worst enemy. Thank you mom for not visiting the mother's curse on me. Yet they never gave up. They never stopped loving me.

During that time mom would spend time on her knees almost constantly in prayer for me. That I am sure is how I survived those years. Daddy and I would hardly speak to each other at that time. Yet I knew he loved me. It was my choice to have the silence. There were times when we had not said a word for a week yet on Saturday evening we would both end up in front of the TV to watch Doctor Who on PBS. No words were exchanged, but were in the same room!

My time of trails ended, and I was able to look back on my life during that time and realize it was all my own fault. I was able to see the pain I caused myself and my parents. When I went to them to ask forgiveness it had already been given. They were there as they had always been to love me and accept me for all my strengths and weaknesses.

As I have had my own family I understand the reason there were there no matter what. The love they taught me I now give to my own children. Because of the love they showed me I am able to give love to my children and my husband, my foster babies, and now my children from around the world.

I was truly "born of goodly parents" they taught me the fullness of the gospel and the love of my Elder Brother and Savior. With the love of Jesus I am able to go to my Heavenly Father and ask for forgiveness and receive it! I have the knowledge that I am a daughter of Heavenly Father and truly have a divine nature! I can teach my own children that they too have that divine nature and are heirs to the Kingdom their Heavenly Father has prepared for them.

I know that my Heavenly Father is here for me when the challenges of being a parent are before me. When life becomes uncertain, I can go to Him and ask for his blessings and know that the answer might not be what I expected, but the answer is right for me and that time. Heavenly Father knows and is in control of all.

This I know because of the example my parents gave me. They have lived their lives with that knowledge in the forefront. Thank you Daddy and Mom for that blessing you have bestowed on me and my siblings. That I may have that to pass on to my own children, and give them that precious gift to them.

No comments: