Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Thankful for Mary’s Example

I have been thinking about the reason we celebrate the season. There are so many reasons for the magic of the Christmas season. The real reason is the birth of the Christ child. I am so grateful for the birth of baby Jesus, and his life of example and his sacrifice. I often ponder the life his earthly mother must have had. The Christmas carol "Mary did You Know" is one of my favorite. I believe that she did know who her baby was. Yet at the same time how could a human mother truly know and understand what that would mean. She watched her baby take the same steps of life that I have watched my own children take. As a mother I think in some small, very small, way I know how she must have felt that blessed night. When holding my new born children feeling the responsibility of raising them to be productive, kind, loving people who know that they are children of Heavenly Father. To know that the child you have been blessed with is so much more than that. That you have been chosen to raise the Son of God, that is a responsibility I am not worthy of nor do I think I want. With all my human frailties I am scared I will fail my children, let alone fail to be the mother the Christ child would need. If I were Mary I would have been terrified of that responsibility. Mary had so many obstacles to face in being the mother of the Christ Child. Yet raising the Son of God would be the most overwhelming of all.

I am not sure if any of this makes sense to anyone else but me. I am in no way trying to compare my life to Mary and her earthly family, but trying to understand the life she must have had. I am wanting to use her example to become a better mother to my own children.

No comments: